People put a lot of work into a new vehicle purchase, often comparing several makes and models and going to great lengths to find the best financing rates or most affordable least. Few buyers put the same amount of effort in when considering how to ensure their new vehicle.
But with some research into the coverages, you need and the discounts you can get, saving money is easy. Insurance premiums take many factors into account, from the types of policies you purchase to the model of the car you drive, where you live, and the multitude of discounts you can take advantage of.
We here at U.S. News created this guide to help you learn about the factors that go into setting car insurance rates and the strategies you can use to get the best deal. And the best part is that you can do most of the research online from the comfort of your couch. We’ll cover the following topics in detail:
- Shop Around
- Get the Discounts You’re Entitled To
- Keep Your Low Rates Low
- Get a Higher Deductible
- Consider Pay-Per-Mile Insurance
- Let Your Insurance Company Track You
- Don’t Pay For Coverage You Don’t Need
- Pay Your Bill in Full
- Consider Insurance Costs Before You Choose a Car
- Get A Short Loan and Make a Big Down Payment
- Don’t Always Make a Claim
- Update Your Policy Annually